Thursday, March 6, 2008

Dr Lorraine Encourages Writers to Attend Conferences

If you want to be a writer, write. If you want to be a published author, go to writers conferences where you meet writers, authors, editors, literary agents and publishers. They can answer your questions and help you navigate your words into print, into magazines, into bookstores and into the hands of your readers. 

Over the past several years,  I've attended numerous conferences and just recently returned from the 21st Annual Florida Christian Writers Conference held at the Christian Retreat Conference Center in Bradenton, FL. First-timers may feel overwhelmed at a conference, but it's the best way to learn about the publishing world. Just dive in and start swimming. Attend lots of workshops. Ask a lot of questions and listen carefully.

What is your goal? I look forward to the day when I'm walking along a tropical shore line and I spot a stranger sitting in a beach chair reading my book. That's just part of my vision. I also look forward to the day when readers tell me that my books changed their lives for the better. I've read countless books that have improved my life and I'm very thankful for the authors who went to the trouble to organize and preserve their good ideas.

Ultimately, I'm looking forward to the day when I hear, "Well done my good and faithful servant. With you I am well pleased."

IMG_2795 - DrLorraine Speaking at FCCW

Dr Lorraine is the founder and president of First Coast Christian Writers. She is dedicated to providing educational opportunities, resources and effective critique group opportunities on a weekly basis to writers in NE Florida. FCCW leadership team shares a common vision of growing our group to 52 active members by December 31, 2008.

Total attendees at today's meeting: 4

New members joining today: Emory "Buddy" Putman

Total current members: 10

No comments: